We update residents on Lisbon's Incorporation News on a quarterly basis in the Lisbon Gazette. The updates are also posted on this page. For the most current events, tune in to our Zoom meetings or recorded meetings via the Lisbon YouTube channel. Zoom links are published at the top of meeting Agendas.
**To view the complete Lisbon Incorporation Submittal, please visit Dept. of Administration's website here.**
Incorporation Timeline (tentative)
Feb 11, 2022 - Notice of Intent - Complete
Feb 23, 2022 - Petition Meeting - Complete
Mar 11, 2022 - Return Petition - Complete
Mar 16, 2022 - Deliver Petition to Circuit Court - Complete
Apr 25, 2022 - Town Board to approve sending Application of Incorporation & Fee - Complete
Apr 29, 2022 - Circuit Court Determination Hearing - Complete
May 16, 2022 - Incorporation Submittal & fees delivered to Dept. of Administration - Complete
July 20, 2022 - Public Hearing of the Incorporation Review Board - Complete
Nov 2, 2022 - Meeting of the Incorporation Review Board - Complete
Nov 9, 2022 - Dept. of Administration returns their Findings to Circuit Court *view the WI DOA Incorporation Determination* - Complete
***Read our latest Press Release***
Nov 28, 2022 - Circuit Court sets a date for Referendum Election - Complete
--> We are currently HERE in the process <--
Jan 10, 2023 - Special Election re: Incorporation Referendum *Results will be posted on Elections page shortly after polls close at 8pm
approx. Jan 12, 2023 - Certify referendum election results & send to Secretary of Administration
approx. Feb 14, 2023 - Secretary of Administration issues Certificate of Incorporation
mid-Februay 2023 - County Clerk to set date of election of new Village Board (election between 40-50 days after Certificate is issued)
late March/early April 2023 - Election of new Village Board
What happens next?
The COOPERATIVE BOUNDARY AGREEMENT between Lisbon & Sussex was approved by the Department of Administration on April 29, 2022. Attachments & detachments of lands between the two municipalities was finalized in May. Lisbon will send a letter to the properties that have been attached to Lisbon to discuss services moving forward. Sussex will do the same to those attached to Sussex.
- On July 20th the State Incorporation Board held a public hearing on the Incorporation. The Lisbon Incorporation team presented our submittal and successfully answered the Board's questions.
- Following the public hearing, our team gathered additional information and made a supplemental submission on August 2nd.
- In September & October, the Incorporation Review Board (IRB) met to further discuss the submission.
- Determination by DOA is required to be complete within 180 days. The Incorporation Review Board returned their determination of findings on November 9th.
- The determination was sent to the Circuit Court on November 9th. Because the determination was positive, the Circuit Court ordered that a special election will be held for a referendum on the Incorporation.
- The Special Election date will be January 10, 2023. All Lisbon qualified electors can vote on the referendum. *Results will be posted on Elections page after the polls close on Election Day .
- If the majority of the votes in the Incorporation Referendum are cast in favor of a Village, the Clerk of Circuit Court shall certify the fact to the secretary of DOA. The Secretary of DOA will issue the Certificate of Incorporation.
- Finally, the County Clerk will schedule an election for a new Village Board not less than 40 nor more than 50 days after the date the Certificate of Incorporation is issued.