You may or may not know that the Town of Lisbon is working very hard on incorporating into a village. This FAQ has been prepared to help the Town of Lisbon residents and business owners to understand the impact and importance of the Town of Lisbon incorporating into a village.
WHAT IS MUNICIPAL INCORPORATION?
Municipal incorporation is the process of creating new villages and cities from town territory. It is regulated by the Wisconsin Statutes.
WHY IS THE TOWN PURSUING INCORPORATION?
The primary reason to incorporate into a village is to protect the municipal borders from annexation by the Village of Sussex which would erode the Town’s tax base. Once incorporated, the new village lands would no longer be subject to annexation. Other benefits of incorporation include additional zoning authority, extra-territorial authority, subdivision autonomy, and community identity.
Incorporation determines the long-term survivability of Lisbon. In other municipalities like Summit and Richfield, the citizens voted to incorporate in order to:
- Gain direct control of the uses of their land.
- Protect their boundaries from annexation of cities and other villages.
- Avoid boundary litigation.
- Protect current and future revenue sources, like taxes from developed land that help offset the rising costs of providing government services.
- Minimize their tax rates being raised by cities and villages annexing their valuable territory.
- Preserve the Lisbon’s identity and character;
- Make local planning and zoning decisions and improve our ability to attract and retain businesses;
- Preserve our borders and protect the future of our community;
- Have the ability to be more fiscally sound and finance projects more efficiently and effectively;
- Ability to receive a better bond rating;
- Villages and cities have more access to state and federal aids, grants and shared revenues than Towns.
WILL MY TAXES INCREASE BECAUSE OF INCORPORATION?
No. Taxes will not increase because of incorporation. Tax rates are established based upon the service level requested by the Town residents, and the assessed valuation of the Town. The Town presently maintains a service level necessary for incorporation; hence, no additional services will be required because of incorporation.
IF THE TOWN INCORPORATES INTO A VILLAGE WILL MY MAILING ADDRESS CHANGE?
No. Upon incorporation there would be no change to any mailing addresses—all residents and businesses would maintain their current city and zip code. The USPS does allow Lisbon to use “Lisbon 53089” instead of “Sussex 53089”. The USPS prefers to not change mailing addresses due to the incorporation.
WILL INCORPORATION CHANGE THE SCHOOL DISTRICT BOUNDARIES?
No. The current school district boundaries would remain in place with no changes due to incorporation.
WHAT ARE THE NEXT STEPS?
The Town Board is scheduling public hearings for those municipalities we are working on adopting a Cooperative Plan (aka Border Agreement) with, which are the Village of Merton and Lannon and the Town of Brookfield. The Merton hearing was already held; Lannon’s is August 28, 2018 at 6:30pm at the Lisbon Town Hall. The Town of Brookfield’s would be no sooner than mid-September, date TBD.
Citizens are welcome to attend the public hearing and address concerns and ask questions. At this time, the Town Board is gathering information pertinent to making informed decisions in regard to what is in the best interest of the entire community. We also encourage residents and business owners to write letters of support to the Town of Lisbon or even submit a “Letter to the Editor” of our local papers.
IT BOILS DOWN TO THIS
- Development is inevitable. Let’s control it ourselves.
- Let’s position Lisbon as a community that is ready and prepared for the future.
- Let’s keep our local government decisions just that, local.
TAX RATE COMPARISON
Mill Rate (per $1000)
Town of Lisbon Village of Sussex Difference
2017 3.7605 5.6498 1.8893
(or $1,410.19 for (or $2,116.68 for
$375,000 home) $375,000 home) $708.49
2018 3.822 5.6417 1.8197
(or $1,433.25 for (or $2,115.64 for
$375,000 home) $375,000 home) $682.39
WHERE CAN I FIND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING INCORPORATION?
The Town of Lisbon website will be updated with a compilation of information as it becomes available.
- Website: www.townoflisbonwi.com
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com//lisbonwi
- Local Access Channel 14 with Spectrum services
Elected Officials and Town Staff are also available to address questions and concerns.
Chairman: Joe Osterman 246-6100 ext. 1200 firstname.lastname@example.org
Supervisor #1: Tedia Gamiño 246-6100 ext. 1201 email@example.com
Supervisor #2: Marc Moonen 246-6100 ext. 1202 firstname.lastname@example.org
Supervisor #3: Linda Beal 246-6100 ext. 1203 email@example.com
Supervisor #4: Becky Plotecher 246-6100 ext. 1204 firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrator: Gina Gresch 246-6100 ext. 1003 email@example.com
Clerk: Dan Green 246-6100 ext. 1004 firstname.lastname@example.org